Thursday, November 10, 2011

I took down Barbie's hair, don't tell my mom...

last week's beheading incident emboldened me to enjoy my collection the way I want to. so I took down 2010 Harley Davidson Barbie's hair. I am not a fan of the bouffant/pompadour/pouf or whatever you want to call it. I eased the rubber band out, brushed her hair flat, and then put it into one big pony tail.

this reminded me of when I was a kid. Mrs Heart was one of my favorite dolls. I had the school teacher one that came in a pink dress. she had a side pony tail that I always thought looked a little weird. one day I noticed that the rubber band had crumbled and all that was holding her pony tail in place was the little piece of hair wrapped around it.

I took her hair down and carefully picked out all the tiny rubber band bits. my mom saw me brushing her hair and asked me what I had done. when I showed her how nice Mrs Heart looked with her hair down, my mom kind of flipped out. I had apparently ruined Mrs Heart by doing this.

I was forbidden from ever doing such a thing to any of my dolls again, because it would ruin their value. so I had a lot of dolls I didn't enjoy playing with because I couldn't make them look the way I would have liked.

anyone else have a similar experience as a kid?

4 comments:

  1. I was so forward to seeing your Harley Davidson doll with the brushed out hair. I played with my dolls to the fullest. Glad that you are finally able to play with your dolls the way you see fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. here's a link to the entry with her picture. :-)

      http://queenofthedolls.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-let-my-hair-down.html

      Delete
  2. My grandmother (who raised me) wasn't really that way with toys, but she was that way with books. I had some really beautiful pop up books that she wouldn't even let me read because I might mess them up. If dolls are to be played with and not just looked at high on a shelf, books are DEFINITELY to be read and not just looked at high on a shelf. Reminds me of the "dollhouse" episode of "Friends".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you! what is the point of having things that you aren't allowed to enjoy? never really watched "Friends" but I'll have to check that episode out.

      Delete